Part 2 of our English Wine Week food pairing series, today we pair a tasty Lemon Sole and Clam dish with Chapel Down’s crisp Flint Dry 2018.
Chapel Down Flint Dry 2018
REGION: Kent GRAPES: White Blend
Not only is this wine one of the most accessible English wines on the market, but it's also a very versatile food pairing option with all of its aromatic, zesty energy.
I find this works so very well with light seafood dishes, so I paired with a delicately grilled lemon sole with samphire and clams.
The Flint Dry has a charming character of zesty citrus, hints of tropical fruit and crunchy green apples. The crisp, fresh acidity is a perfect pairing to the fleshy fish and salty notes from the samphire.
Lemon Sole with Samphire & Clams (Serves 2)
Ingredients: 2 Lemon Sole Fillets, 500g clams, 1 Pack Samphire, Fresh Parsley & Dill, Butter, White Wine
- Season lemon sole with salt & pepper, fry on each side for 3 minutes
- Melt knob of butter in another pan, add clams and 100ml of wine, fry until clams start to open
- Add samphire in with the clams and stir
- Finally, add a knob of butter into the fish pan together with chopped fresh herbs & more pepper if required.
- Serve samphire and clams on plate and top with the lemon sole. Dress with the herb butter and fresh dill strands.