Digby Blanc de Blancs Brut 2013

Wine Type:
grape varieties:


Continuing my coverage from last week’s ’10 Years of Digby Fine English’ celebrations, I was again enamoured with Digby’s first ever Blanc de Blancs – once more coming from the exceptional 2013 vintage.

Fruit for the Blanc de Blancs came from two sites, one in Hampshire on greensand (59% of the blend) and the other from Dorset on clay (41% of the blend). The overall blend has also seen 27% fermentation in oak.

Despite its significant ageing (nine years on lees and a further year under cork), this Blanc de Blancs has delicious rampant freshness. The fruit is bright, almost perfumed, with an orchard full of apples, yellow pear and floral hues, as well as generous suggestions of croissant and pastry complexities.

The palate is bold and expressive, bursting with racy, citrus and crunchy green apple intensity. The mid-taste softens to white peach, with a hint of honeyed pear and softer creamy textures. The finish is fresh and lingering, with a lightly saline oyster shell minerality.

Overall, this is a true celebration of patience and the very essence of Digby’s remarkable success.

Posted in .

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.