A new vintage of Nyetimber’s highly regarded Blanc de Blancs is something I always look forward to. This wine has constantly impressed me and was one of the first English Sparkling wines to really grab my attention. The 2013 vintage was released this month; it’s Nyetimber’s first vintage BdB to include Chardonnay from their Hampshire site (30%), with the remaining 70% coming from their vineyards in West Sussex. It was aged on lees for 5 years with a dosage of 9.5g/l.
On the nose, you’ve got that classic combination of English orchard fruit and zesty citrus, with decadent warm pastry tones and hints of nutty complexity.
The palate has bright energy and youth in the form of crisp green apple and citrus flavours up front, but it’s the finesse and softness of the bubbles that once again demonstrate Nyetimber’s patience with this particular wine.
Lightly honeyed peachy flavours are evident, and the delicate toasted pastry and cashew nut notes suggest that this wine is in it for the long haul. The Nyetimber Blanc de Blancs 2013 is drinking superbly right now, but will be truly exceptional with more time in the bottle.
This wine’s price (£150) and presentation makes a huge statement but it’s Nyetimber’s quality and precise approach that makes it a standout.
An exceptionally balanced Blanc de Blancs from Nyetimber that is only just entering its stride and with a long life ahead.
A deeper rosé with rich wild strawberry, raspberry and a hint of winter spice.
Honeyed pastry notes add weigh to a clean mineral backbone in this delicate but expressive Rosé.
A hugely impressive and appealing wine demonstrating sublime integration and development.
A Perfect balance between the zesty vibrance, the riper stone fruit flavours and nutty, biscuity notes.